In a tragic incident, over 20 houses and 18 cowsheds were destroyed in a fire that broke out in the remote Lawai village in Chhota Bhangal area of Kangra district, which rendered over 300 residents homeless. Luckily no loss of life was reported.
The fire was noticed around 10 am. It quickly engulfed the entire village. Within half an hour, hundreds of residents of adjoining villages reached the spot and doused the flames.
Baijnath Subdivisional Magistrate GC Negi reached the spot. He directed the shifting of victims to temporary shelters in school buildings. He said the loss was being estimated by the revenue authorities.
He assured the villagers that the state government would provide financial assistance to the victims at the earliest. Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal expressed shock over the incident and directed Kangra Deputy Commissioner KR Bharati to extend all possible assistance to the victims immediately.